Family Emergency Preparedness
Before hurricane season is the time to develop and practice your emergency plan. The Family Emergency Plan is a great tool to help you to create a plan that is specific to your family’s needs.
Some things to consider when preparing for hurricane season are:
- Know your risks
- What Storm Surge/Evacuation Zone do you live in?
- Are you in a flood zone?
- Do you live in a mobile or manufactured home?
- What year was your house built?
- Does your home have storm shutters?
- Prepare several evacuation or sheltering options for your family.
- Shelter at home if it is safe from winds and storm surge waters.
- Shelter outside of the evacuation area, with a friend or at a hotel.
- Go to a Public Shelter if you have no other safe place to go.
- Prepare your Emergency Supply Kit before the start of hurricane season
- Have ample supplies for each person in the family
- Infants and children
- Persons with disabilities
- Secure items in and around your home before tropical storm force winds arrive
- Be sure all family members know who to call or where to gather if you become separated.
- Let family or friends in other locations know your evacuation plans
Download Family Emergency Plan